Freedom Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom Gaming's, Half Life 2 Roleplay! Welcome to the combine occupied world of Earth!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rolling VS Logic

+7
Gangster_Story
Ferub
Scelyne
Sparky
Thekmim101
Kookie
Kemerd
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rolling VS Logic Empty Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Kemerd

Kemerd
Owner

Ferub wrote:Ferub: Kem.
Ferub: You have abandoned one of your founding principles on this server.
Ferub: Not everyone is happy about it.
Ferub: You have traded in logic, for a roll of a dice, to please a few people who lost characters. Something that is a real thing that happens in the role play.
Ferub: Kemerd.
Ferub: I am dissapointed in you.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: Yes.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: ...?
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: Oh, ok.
Ferub: Kem.
Ferub: You need to change this.
Ferub: I know Sparky makes it sound nice.
Ferub: But it's not.
Ferub: Lemon punch is not large because of it's rollng.
Ferub: It's large because of it's age.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: I know.
Ferub: I have been on half life two role play since it's founding.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: Rolling causes less problems and anger.
Ferub: No.
Ferub: It causes more.
Ferub: Take this wisdom.
Ferub: I know you take nothing of my wisdom
Ferub: But take this one.
Ferub: I beg of you for the good of the server.
Ferub: And it's future.
Ferub: Do not, exchanging logic for a roll of a dice.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: Why?
Ferub: Because this is role play.
Ferub: Not dungeons and dragons.
Ferub: A game dictated by logic.
Ferub: Meant to convey what would happen realistically.
Ferub: When a soldier, and a taliban are fighting.
Ferub: They do not roll dice to decide who misses.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: pRIME EXAMPLE
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: some people were battling it out
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: zombie vs human
Ferub: It doesn't matter Kem.
Ferub: Those who do not play by Logic.
Ferub: Tend to be new players.
Ferub: Who need to be taught.
Ferub: Remember the day me, Cherub, Ras, and you were in a chat saying we are going to do this new thing of operating our server.
Ferub: Called Logic?
Ferub: Guess what Kem.
Ferub: That was the day you got me to this server.
Ferub: The day you won my mind over and I decided that this server could survive and thrive
Ferub: Are you going to throw away, a first truly logical server? That treats the world how it is? While providing freedom.
Ferub: Or are you going to throw it all away.
Ferub: So you decide to roll the dice.
Kemerd - Super MLG Canon Maker: I'll think about it.

I need opinions. Help?

Only problem I have with using logic is that is causes a lot of arguements and complaining, if someone is not being fair, or too OP.

Last edited by Kemerd on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.freedomroleplay.com

2Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Kookie

Kookie

Logic, unless both parties agree.

I agree with you ferub bby <3

3Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Thekmim101

Thekmim101
Operator

I honestly agree with Ferub also.

I like logic in HL2rp better, not just rolling to see who wins a fight or any other similar role-play situation.

Also with rolling it would still make some players op, like Gangster's char with a 150+ roll bonus.

P2L doesn't make characters with roll bonuses more op, it would still be the same.

Last edited by Thekmim101 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Sparky

Sparky
She's only my friend but we sorta had sex on my other friend's couch.

From what I have seen of Ferub on the server he does seem like a decent roleplayer, many people know who he is and if not, they will possibly get to know him, and every character he has to offer in the foreseeable future.
I initially put forward the idea of "Rolling" to Kemerd, and backed it up with strong reasoning to why I believe it should be implemented; A short explanation of why I believe it should be here is as follows:

In our current state of RP, we are going along the basis of P2L (Play to Lose) this means that many players have created characters or based their storyline along something which is highly improbable, highly OP or very hard for some players to accept IC. This causes the staff team problems relating to many different things, including players reporting and telling us that their character has been killed by a "Robocop", "Terminator" or "OP Killing Machine", the problems this causes for us is that we have a certain number of players on the server going around with OP characters which cannot be killed; from my own and many others (I have spoken to people) point of view, this alienates many players to have to stay away from any action they may want to get involved in, this does not go without saying the general gist of action inside of Roleplay is generally recommended to stay away from. When rolling is implemented it gives every single player the ability to mold Roleplay around their very own storyline and playstyle; if a certain player wants to try and resist the ties a MPF unit is placing on them, by trying to squeeze their wrist out of a tie, or even try to fight a "OP Character" they have the chance to win a certain scenario. This does not mean players can run around typing "/me snaps mpf unit's neck" "/roll 100", it means that players have the opportunity to develop their character further and get into a lot more situations they previously had not had the chance to get into.

As you can see from this paragraph the intent on having rolling implemented is to give players the chance to win scenarios they would not regularly be able to even fathom a chance in. An example of how P2L does not really benefit us much is the fact that Ferub's "Ghost" character is highly augmented to the point where he is near invincible, going from RP standpoints he has the exact same, or if not more power than an OTA unit, so in a P2L scenario he would easily be able to take out any assailants he ever happens to come across, making him near invincible "Common Sense" right?

On a further note, rolling is not perfect, is brings a myriad of different problems, but the initial reason we even brought it in is because the majority of the community voted for it, not every player can ever have their own way 24/7.

Rolling is here to give players a chance to develop their characters more, with the risk of still probably getting killed by a lot more "Experienced" characters on the server. If we go along the basis of using common sense, the likely fact is that these OP characters will continue to get more OP over time, essentially becoming Invincible.

http://www.Brilliant.com

5Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Scelyne

Scelyne

Ferub: Because this is role play.
Ferub: Not dungeons and dragons.
Ferub: A game dictated by logic.
Ferub: Meant to convey what would happen realistically.
Ferub: When a soldier, and a taliban are fighting.
Ferub: They do not roll dice to decide who misses.

He has a good point.

What happens in roleplay should not be determined by random number generating, it should be determined by logic, as like real life.

Rolling is extremely unrealistic. I was in a small combat situation with a player-controlled headcrab zombie, and I missed over seven shots from point-blank due to rolling, where realistically, it shouldn't jam/miss over and over. Especially from a trained CCA-04 STORM unit.

And with the current roll bonuses, it is certainly possible for a citizen to take down a divisional/officer in hand-to-hand combat. This shouldn't happen.

6Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Ferub

Ferub
Operator

I will not block you with a fancy wall of text to get my point across.

Roleplaying is based off realism. A convey of a realistic scenario, which we put ourselves into. Real things happen. In the real world some people are just stronger, than others, it happens and it's the natural way of life. You do not see a Taliban Soldier, and a American Army Ranger, rolling a pair of dice to decide who wins. It is based on logic, and who uses their training and skill better.

This is based off logic, real things happen. Dictate things by logic, roll when both parties agree only.

EDIT; Sparky, please do not gauge, or judge my role play experience as you have never had that opportunity to role play with me. Those who have will vouch for the fact I know what I am doing.

7Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 pm

Sparky

Sparky

Ferub wrote:I will not block you with a fancy wall of text to get my point across.

Roleplaying is based off realism. A convey of a realistic scenario, which we put ourselves into. Real things happen. In the real world some people are just stronger, than others, it happens and it's the natural way of life. You do not see a Taliban Soldier, and a American Army Ranger, rolling a pair of dice to decide who wins. It is based on logic, and who uses their training and skill better.

This is based off logic, real things happen. Dictate things by logic, roll when both parties agree only.

EDIT; Sparky, please do not gauge, or judge my role play experience as you have never had that opportunity to role play with me. Those who have will vouch for the fact I know what I am doing.

I'm not trying to judge any RP of how you develop or play at all. Honestly all I have ever seen you do is sit in your base and type OOC, you claim you have played since the beginning, but in all my time here I PERSONALLY have not ever seen you RP.

We are also trying to attract players, Rolling gives them the opportunity to keep their characters alive, P2L may be a good system but not everyone wants to be killed in every "Logic" situation they get into. From what I have heard aswell you have transferred your character from another server. If you have done that, why can't the next player? Why can't I have a super experimental augmented killing machine.

But again Ferub, we are trying to build a playerbase, for the foreseeable future, P2L sounds like a smart concept, but for now whilst we are trying to build up, it is best if we give everyone the chance to develop characters and stay alive for as long as they need to.

Edit: Aswell I noticed you said "Soldiers fighting taliban don't roll" This is not real life Ferub, it is based in the HL2 universe, I understand it is Serious Roleplay, but we don't need to start comparing it to real life, it is a game.

8Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Gangster_Story

Gangster_Story

My take on it? Well I've developed rolling on four different servers, all of them agree that ROLLING PROVIDES CHANCE. A person who is powerful cannot be all mighty every time he goes to kill a person 99.9 percent of the time. Logic doesn't apply to action, if action is flawed. So what happens in the .1 percent that someone loses? Well they miss, its chance. Everyone has the odds put against them, since life as a whole (in the server and out) is not lined like a story book and bound by logic. The server is not a storybook or real life. I would rant about this more, but I really feel that Sparky summed up most of it.

9Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Queen Fluffy (っ◕ヮ◕)っ

Queen Fluffy (っ◕ヮ◕)っ
Application Manager

I agree completely with Sparky..

Now, with that allow me to kindly put in my two cents:

I myself, believe at this point in time, it should be rolling only, at least until the server grows.

Reasoning being is that, new players are coming and this server is fresh, so lots of people will be inexperienced and very likely will not understand the concept of Play To Lose at all, that and, I mean, what new players are going to want to want their character to lose? That and it's difficult because not everybody agrees on an outcome and some people might have a different idea of how the scenario is going and arguments can happen, especially when their character's life is at risk.

So until the server grows and more people get this mindset understood, we should stick with rolling ONLY.

However, that being said, generally speaking, I approve strongly of rolling; and because of a couple reasons.

• Easy concept for players to understand.
• Prevents the OOC arguments I mentioned above from happening.

And most importantly:

It holds the element of chance.

Play To Lose, while I will agree makes more sense and makes roleplay more fluid and easier, it's just not where we are at right now nor should we implement this at this low player count. Again, reason being I had just mentioned above, if we have brand new players just start join and they're placed into Play To Lose they might either:

A) Don't understand the concept.

And/Or:

B) Don't wish to follow it.

Following that, there is going to be constant arguments OOC, they aren't going to want to stay. On top of there being constant arguing that energy should be spent on actually helping the server, and going towards actual roleplay. So until we at least get more players and they understand this better, maybe we could talk about some sort of implementation of Play To Lose.

Overall though, rolling is something that should stick around, because everybody deserves a fair chance and should be given one - or you're just essentially looking right at a death wish for their characters going up against somebody who is clearly tougher than them.

And in all honesty, putting aside the realism, it's more fun anyways to carry it out and see what will happen, it creates a sense of tension and surprise; and that's what I think people love most about HL2RP.

Regardless of this being an immersive gamemode, it's still only a game, and people come for fun in that, and with with fun comes, again: Chance.

Last edited by Queen Fluffy (っ◕ヮ◕)っ on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:33 am; edited 2 times in total

10Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:01 pm

Cherub

Cherub
Administrator

Roleplay however the f**k you want, I agree with Ferubs points, but I agree with Sparkys as well. Long as both parties are AGREEING to a certain roleplay style, I think that's hella cool.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rMbuY6JMW9mW82JH9Rqgg

11Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Ferub

Ferub
Operator

I have no problem with rolling, I have problem with it when it is put on by force.

It should be P2L by defult, Roll on agree.

12Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 pm

The_Chief113

The_Chief113

Both have their flaws to be fair, but after today's little fiasco as my Necrotic it doesn't seem worth it to play by chance, considering a simple roll die can automatically kill me from a shot to the head, but one of my slashes with my claws on my necrotic, does almost nothing noticeable to the other player, Necrotic and Animal RP should just be taken out if a gun which practically everybody on the server has more or less dictates weither you win or not, you give +40 RB from a melee attack from behind, nobody in the game let alone a Necrotic is quiet enough to execute that unless it's a CP arresting someone with a stunstick. Though with Play to Lose it just seems I'll be killed all that quicker since "logic" dictates a tained CP should automatically kill a zombie, or even a untrained citizen with a firearm would still "logically" win a fight with a Necrotic because they have a bullet and I have claws.

13Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Scelyne

Scelyne

Ferub wrote:I have no problem with rolling, I have problem with it when it is put on by force.

I agree with this, actually. Why not implement both systems?

14Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Sparky

Sparky

Scelyne wrote:
Ferub wrote:I have no problem with rolling, I have problem with it when it is put on by force.

Because both parties will not agree to it. Eg Ferub

15Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:50 pm

Ferub

Ferub
Operator

Sparky wrote:
Scelyne wrote:

Because force rolling will kill this server, I've seen it done before. Many times before. We are supposed to be realistic, if you want to judge everything on a roll of a die. Go play Dungeons and Dragons.

16Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Optio

Optio
Operator

Ferub wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Scelyne wrote:

Because force rolling will kill this server, I've seen it done before. Many times before. We are supposed to be realistic, if you want to judge everything on a roll of a die. Go play Dungeons and Dragons.

I agree with Ferub, to be quite honest.

17Rolling VS Logic Empty Re: Rolling VS Logic Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Kemerd

Kemerd
Owner

We already switched to play to loose.

Locked.

http://www.freedomroleplay.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum